Saturday 5 February 2011

Influences

Rob Ryan

I like Rob Ryan's use of a single colour with such detailed and floral cut outs. I also like his incorporation of both text and figures. 






Peter Callesen

Callesen is another paper cut out artist, but with a twist:






This last piece is one of my favourites! I'm not entirely sure why - I think its because he is escaping the boundaries of the rectangular piece of paper. 

I love Callesen's work as I think he possibly uses the net of the paper cutout? But I'm not 100% sure, god knows how he does it really - but I like how the cutout and the paper sculpture relate but are not exactly the same. I think it keeps his work unique and mesmerising 

Yulia Brodskaya

Yulia's work amazes me - I actually cannot understand quite how she's managed it! I love the detail in her work and just packed the text is with decoration, yet never seems too much!







Helen Musslewhite

Helens work is a build up of layers to create a 3D image, using a mixure of coloured paper, as well as just white pieces.






Her work is so vivid and intricate, as well as having a playful feel - like in this last piece for example, reminding me of children's books and art work for kids. I love her work as it feels achievable and makes me want to go and have a go as well! 

Sue Blackwell

Sue uses books to create her sculptures from, I like how this breaks the boundary of a plain sheet of paper, with the words giving it depth and a completely different texture to the page. Also the book she uses may relate to the piece of work itself 





I love how her work climbs out of the story - as if the picture is literally being built up and created as the story is read (not that you can read the book any more!)

Julene Harrison

Julene creates stunning paper cut outs with ornate frames containing images and type, I love how these are used for cards - such as weddings, birthdays... I would love these for my wedding! They're beautiful





I even love how she photographs her work with the scapel and cutout next to it - showing just how hand made and personal they are. Her mix of hand made type is also really inspiring for other projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment